Thursday, January 15, 2009

Short on Test Strips......Again

I use an overwhelming amount of glucose test strips each month. I have insurance yet I always manage to run out before I can get my script renewed each month. I'm forced to pay out of pocket for a box every month. I had been buying one touch ultra brand (my main meter brand), but a few times resorted to buying the much less expensive Reli-on (Wal-mart brand). Lately I've heard many stories from fellow diabetics who live this way. Being in fear of running low on test strips is a constant discussion on diabetes forums. I almost feel guilty at times when I go to pick up my strips because many times it hasn't even been the full 30 days before I need to get my strips refilled. I ask the lady at the pharmacy if they can run it and see if insurance will pay it or is it too soon to get refilled. If it's too soon, then I have to pay for more on my dime. What gets me is the high expense for these little things. It must not cost much to produce them so why are they so high? Around 55.00 for 50 One Touch Ultra vs. around 23.00 for the cheaper reli-on brand. Recently I decided to shop around so I went in a small mom and pop pharmacy to see if they had any alternatives. They had some meter called the Tru-Track. Meter was very cheap and the strips were right around the same price as Wal-Mart reli-on. My problem with these as well as the reli on is they are not pc-compatible. There is no cable hook up with them to download/upload my numbers and that's a problem. My endocrinologist takes my One Touch Meter and downloads my test results every time I go in for an appointment. She would not like it if I was to hand her a reli on meter which has no capability to download my averages/results/basal patterns and so on.

Even though I have been able so far to buy the brand name strips, I know soon something's gotta give and I am going to have to find a way to
  • test less or
  • start buying the less expensive brand
This is one major reason I was interested in the CGMS system. But if I go that route, the sensors will maybe be paid by insurance but I'm pretty sure I would be responsible for 20 % of the cost. I need to ask about how much the sensors would cost me. It seems to be so hard to test less so I don't think that is a viable option for me. I'm on the pump and must check at least 10 times a day.

No comments: