Sunday, January 11, 2009

Continuous Glucose Monitoring System (CGMS)

I wonder if the continuous glucose monitoring system would help me get a better handle on my numbers and overall health. I am a member of TU diabetes and there is much discussion going on over there about CGMS. I do have quite a bit of lows and highs. My numbers seem to swing back and forth quite often. Just like this morning, I went to bed at 128 and woke with 304. I hadn't eaten anything and just when I was beginning to think the dawn phenomenon had reared it's ugly head, I found out my infusion set had a air bubble in it. Changed that out and around an hour later I was at 210. My numbers have been pretty good today and I'm so glad. I am not sure my insurance would cover CGMS, I am going to talk about how it would benefit me when I see my Endo next month. There is the dexcom, navigator and another brand of CGMS that I can't recall right now. There are 2 issues that might keep me from getting one of these neat little gadgets:
  • Seems that many have seen discrepancies in their numbers . The CGMS may read 80 and the glucose monitor they have might read 140. Calibration must be done but I wonder if I would get a "low" alert in the middle of the night when I truly wasn't low.
  • Being on the pump now, I really don't like the idea of getting hooked up to another gadget :) If it would help me tremendously that would be a moot issue though.

No comments: