Sunday, January 25, 2009

Coffee and Carbs

Ok, so I have a confession. Most of the time when I have coffee I do NOT take insulin for it. Sometimes I use coffee mate with my coffee and don't take insulin for it either. I don't cover those carbs because I figured that since the creamer is only 2-4 carbs, it won't make a significant rise on my sugar levels. This morning I had around 3 cups of coffee and noticed my blood sugar had risen by 80 points. Time to re-evaluate this warped thinking. Black coffee is not supposed to raise sugar levels for the most part or so this is what I had always been told by various diabetes educators. I suppose every diabetic is different and I am living proof of this fact. I'm going to start covering the carbs for a cup of coffee when I use creamer and do a little experiment on how much of a rise happens with black coffee. I'll get back to this post with the results :)

No comments: