Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Sugar-Free Red Bull


Woke up this morning and blood sugar was 135. That's pretty darn good for me. I suffer from waking HIGH blood sugars half the time so 135 I will not gripe about for now. I hope to get some help with my basal rates once the pump trainer visits me this week. Anyhow, I ate breakfast a few hours afterward and had my usual which is low sugar oatmeal and 2 slices of toast *always my toast consists of low carb bread*. Approximately 28 carbs and for that I took exactly 2 units of Humalog through my pump. An hour later I had a sugar-free Red Bull energy drink. I started feeling like crap around 30 minutes later and so took my blood sugar, it was a whopping 288! Now I am blaming it on the Red Bull but what gives because it's sugar free? The only thing I can think that might bring my sugars up so high is the aspartame in that drink. But I had no knowledge that aspartame would drive sugars up. I think I will do some research on this in my spare time if I can find any. One thing is for sure, Red Bull is a no-no for me from now on.
Looking on the list of ingredients for this sugar-free Red Bull, I see something boldly listed as "phenylketonurics" what the heck are those?

No comments: