Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Hb1ac Is Going Down!

I've been trying for over a month to lower my glucose levels. I've been eating right except for the occasional slice of cake or cup of ice cream. I find that when I do eat something sweet, even though I take the correct amount of insulin, my numbers will go into the 200's and stay that way for 3-4 hours. The same thing seems to happen with milk and also with breads (except for low-carb or sugar free brands). These spikes really irritate me because it shows me there are just some foods I can never indulge in. Why am I trying so hard to get my sugars down? That would be because my Hb1ac taken in August was a whopping 8.7! The one before that was 6.9. I am a nighttime snacker and that is to blame for some of these skyrocketing levels but more than that I just know that I have had tons of stress in the past 6 months so that's probably it. Another problem I have that might be the blame is that I do not drink enough water. I love coffee and I can drink that all the time if I let myself. And what does coffee do? It dehydrates us. Is coffee safe? Well, the jury may still be out on that because I heard a news report that stated that coffee was actually good for you! This news after hearing over a year ago that it was harmful. Watch the news and something that harms you one week is beneficial the next, go figure.
I'll be reporting some of my blood sugar numbers on this blog and maybe some of you more experienced diabetics maybe can give me some tips. I've only had diabetes for 5 years so I figure there is still lots for me to learn. The pump has truly helped me I admit and I am so looking forward to getting my new Animas Ping this week.

No comments: