Monday, March 22, 2010

A Word About Lantus Insulin

I am still on Lantus insulin and am happy to report that my numbers are better than they were while on the pump. I believe the reasons are due to problems with scar tissue as well as the notorious bent cannula problem I endured for far too long. I did get Animas to send me 2 samples of the Comfort sets, they did better for me than the insets did. The comforts have no injector and you insert them under the skin manually. I was surprised at how painless it was. That needle is very long and when I first looked at it I just cringed! I am a thin person and maybe that is the reason I tend to have so many problems with bent cannulas. I have heard of the Sure-T sets but have yet to try them. It was a little like getting blood out of a turnip for Animas to send the 2 Comfort set samples to me and I got more than a little irritated at that. They wanted to know if I wanted to exchange the rest of my insets for the comfort sets and I told them that first I need to try out the comforts and then I would let them know. A reader here suggested that I might try the orbit90 or orbit micro sets and before I give up altogether on pumping, I intend on taking his advice and giving them a try. My Lantus dose is now 12 units in the morning. I found that I am one of those who can get the full 24 hours out of Lantus so that's a very good thing. Apidra is doing well for me but boy does it go to work FAST! I've found that I have to eat and wait around 15 minutes before I  inject the Apidra. Maybe my digestion is sluggish, not so sure but it seems that way at times. 

No comments: