Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Dawn Phenomenon or Symogyi Effect?

This entire week my numbers have been really high, especially in the morning. I'm trying to come up with a solution but truly I'm just so tired.. Tired of testing, tired of seeing high numbers when I'm doing everything right. Tired of running out of test strips all the time. I am currently taking 12 units of Lantus at 9:00 in the morning as my basal. I take Apidra for my boluses. My last doctor appointment she mention that I could be suffering from the Symogyi effect. I don't know much about it but in the a.m my numbers are so high it's unbelievable. If I get it right, I go low at night and these high morning numbers I wake with are rebound from unknown lows during the night. OR is it because I'm not taking enough insulin at night and therefore my numbers are skyrocketing as a result? I so don't want to stay up all night and morning testing but this is what I am facing. This morning at midnight I woke and was at 299. I took 2 units of Apidra and went back to bed. At 2:00 I woke and I was at 289! It was as if I hadn't even taken insulin 2 hrs previous. I took 2 more units and woke again at 5:00 a.m and was at 250! So what am I to make of these crazy numbers folks :( And to add to this, if I snack lightly at night before bedtime, say taking in 15 grams of carbs, my numbers are up into the stratosphere as well. 

No comments: