Thursday, January 28, 2010

Upcoming Spinal Surgery

For some years now I've had spinal stenosis and two herniated cervical disks. Back in the late 90's, the pain with these conditions was horrendous. I suffered with severe headaches and neck pain. Then in 2002, the pain improved to the point where I no longer needed to take pain medicine and when I would have the occasional flare-up, Tylenol or aspirin did the trick. Fast forward to September of 2008 because this was when out of nowhere I started a pain flare-up that lasted more than 2 or 3 days and did not stop. I was pushed to seek out a doctor to help me. Doctor ordered a new M.R.I and told me the bad news which I had suspected before I went to the first visit with him. Ruptured C-4 and C-5 and 6 cervical disks as well as Degenerative Disk disease and stenosis in a few places along my spine. This general practitioner sent me on to an Orthopaedic Surgeon who told me that surgery was an absolute last resort and that Physical Therapy and medication was the ticket for now. I had hoped that the pain would get better as it had before back in the 90's but it wasn't to be. The pain kept getting worse and I finally was referred last year to a Neurosurgeon who promptly ordered a new M.R.I as well as a cervical discogram. The M.R.I showed and discogram confirmed that I would need a fusion surgery on my C 4/5 and 5/6 disks. At least I now knew what all this horrid pain was about. I am very please with my neurosurgeon. He seems very knowledgeable and yes I did check into his background before agreeing for him to do the surgery. Am I scared? I was but when you are in pain every day and having to down pain pills throughout the day and even with that the pain is not totally gone, it seems like a lot of the fear is taken out of the equation. At least that's the way it is for me. I was told if I did not have this surgery that any accident, even a small one, could paralyze me so it's pretty much a done deal. Add that fear along with being so weary and worn down from the pain and honestly friends, I say bring it on! I had my meeting with the surgeon around a week ago and he went over what he is going to do. I only have to spend one night at the hospital so that's a plus. I don't like the fact that I won't be able to drive for some time but I have recently been buying up plenty of D.V.D's and books. I hear walking is great for recovery so I'll be doing plenty of that as well. My pre-op at the hospital is in a few days so I might post again after that. Everyone is informed about my diabetes and at the pre-op we will be discussing that in depth. More later

No comments: