Friday, January 22, 2010

Off the Insulin Pump and back on M.D.I

It all started around 4 weeks ago. I had been noticing that my numbers were totally out of control. Sky high glucose readings and no apparent reason for it. There had been 2 or 3 times in the past couple weeks previous in which I went to change my infusion set out and noticed that I had a bent cannula. This would explain my high numbers. I put in another set. But 2 weeks ago one day it happened to me again and I finally decided after giving myself plenty of correction boluses that it must be another bent cannula and sure enough it was. Well I put in another set and called my endo. I let him know that I was not going to be using my pump until I get in touch with Animas and let them know that I may have been sent a bad batch of sets. So the endo prescribed Lantus for my basal insulin and I would go ahead and use my Apidra insulin for my boluses and corrections. I was totally amazed at how well I did on the Lantus from the first day! I started out on 12 units even though my Endo suggested 15 units per day. I was NOT wanting to go through nightime lows so I started at 12 and adjust upward if needed. Twelve units was just right and seems to keep my numbers around 110- 114  on a regular basis. I tried to get in touch with Animas's support line to have them send me some more infusion sets but after an entire day of being on hold for well over 15 minutes each and every time I called them I finally gave up and decided to try them at another time. Injections don't bother me much, especially since I've been on the pump for so long. It's a strange feeling not being hooked up to something all day long. When I change clothes I am still thinking I have to avoid the site so I don't pull it out. Yesterday I went shopping and forgot to take any insulin with me so I had to come home earlier than I had wanted to. With my pump I don't have that problem :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You might want to try the Orbit 90 or Orbit Micro Infusion set.
www.orbit90.com
It is really a very cool product. the set does 360 degree turn. Moves with your body when you twist or turn.

blogowner said...

Thanks a lot. I'll go there and see if those sets are compatible with my Animas pump