Friday, January 15, 2010

Review of Wavesense Presto Meter

In previous posts I've complained about the fact that I check my blood sugar often and because of this I always seem to run out of test strips before my insurance will allow a refill. Recently I decided I would have to choose a back up meter that used very inexpensive test strips. I checked out the reviews of the latest Wavesense glucose meters and decided on the Presto. Cost of the meter was $25.97 and that came with 10 test strips. I found that the Presto is very close in accuracy to my One Touch Ultra meter. The lowest strips I found online? 100 @ $39.99 from Drugstore.com. I've heard very good things about the Jazz and Keynote meters which are also offered by AgaMatrix. The cost of Jazz test strips are higher than the Keynote and Presto strips and this is why I decided not to bother with the Jazz.

What I love about this meter besides accuracy:
  • For me, a backlight is a must and this one does not disappoint. I love the dark blue backlight!
  • Averages the past 14, 30, and 90 day glucose levels.
  • The way it feels in my hand, it is very small. I don't care for the larger, bulky meters and this one is a pleasure to tote around because of its size. I also love the rubber grip strips on each side of the meter.
  • No coding- LOVE IT!
  • Small blood sample (0.5 ul)
  • Alternate site testing capability
Any cons?
  • It took me a while to understand how to get the backlight to work. I finally discovered that I had not yet enabled the backlight in settings. Wasn't a hassle, just took me around 15 minutes.
  • Battery type. I am partial to my One Touch Ultra because it uses 2 AAA batteries. The presto uses 2- 3 volt CR-2032 lithium coin batteries which were included. This is just a preference thing with me.
  • Lancing device seems cheap but don't most of them these days?
All in all I love this meter! The savings was the main factor in the beginning but if a meter is not accurate, saving money doesn't mean much. With the presto I have found both.

6 comments:

votres@dslextreme said...

Our findings have been just the opposite.
We find this meter to be very inaccurate. This is based on our testing at the same time blood is drawn in the lab for venous tests.
With AccuCheck it is off by less than 5% even though one is a venous draw and the other is from capillary source.
It has not been accurate when compared with other meters and the tests done at the same time.
For us we will stick with the AccuCheck in its many variations.

Unknown said...

I agree. It's a great little meter and the cost of test strips is really reasonable when compared to others. Paying twice as much for a minute difference in accuracy definitely isn't worth it.

Chuck said...

A couple months ago my insurance wanted me to try this meter, so they sent it with 3-month supply of strips. My current, preferred meter is the OneTouch Ultra Smart (I can records food, insulin, exercise, Blood Pressures and upload to my computer!). Well This was easy to use. My insurance company called to get my opinion on it, but I had to shift to using a spreadsheet to keep track of my life events. I told them while it was nice, I preferred my OneTouch since I can so much on my computer. They said OK I could stay with OneTouch - no problem.

gwdowner said...

votres, since this review I must let you know that I agree with your findings on the Wavesense. I kept using it and had innacuracies myself, so more on that later.
Chuck, I don't blame you a bit. I feel the same way about the One Touch Ultra Smart. I wore mine out! I love the record keeping on it. I'm currently using the USB but not for much longer as I had a few whopper bad readings on it of late that scared me silly. In my opinion, the cheap Reli-on confirm is just as good if not better many of the cheaper meters. The strips for them are sweetly priced at $20.00 per 50!

Judy said...

I have the Kroger version of this meter. It says to test the second drop of blood, which is fine but is new to me. I tried testing both the first and second drops about a dozen times, and the second drop usually tests higher, but not always.

The meter is much less accurate than my old one (the previous Kroger meter, which is no longer available). I confirmed this at the doctor's office, where the lab test returned 99 and the second drop from this meter was 126. The first drop from that prick was 110.

Readings also vary widely from sample to sample.

CN2784 said...

I have used several different meters and test strips.
My new Wavesense Presto is about 5 to 7 % higher (Average 5 to 12 points more) compared to my Trueresult and True2go (Truetest) meters.
I can not tell this Wavesense is more accurate than others but the strips are pretty inexpensive